Thursday, April 17, 2014

Who Governs Forensic Evaluators , and Psychologists as Mandated reporters of Child Abuse?

Q:  I reported abuse to a psychologist acting as a forensic evaluator in a divorce custody matter.

He took no action on this at all. Psychologists are 'mandated reporters of child abuse" , but who do they report to and what actions can I take for this person's incompetence.

Is this actionable, and if so in what court?

A:  David's Answer:  Psychologists are mandated reporters, and if they receive a report of suspected child abuse, are generally required to call in same to the statewide hotline of suspected child abuse & maltreatment. That said, in the forensic context, a psychologist may also consider whether the Court has already ordered an investigation by ACS/CPS (if yes, there's no need to duplicate efforts) - and may also report same to the Judge via their forensic report. Call a NYC Child Custody attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment