Friday, August 8, 2014

Can someone be made to pay child support while out of work on public assistance?

Q: I became ill and was hospitalized. During that time my marriage came apart and older child ran off with the spouse. Husband supported me throughout the marriage while I raised our child. I started to work part time to help make ends meet. The majority of bills were in my sole name. Now i am left with an overwhelming amount of debt on the mortgage as well as unpaid household bills and credit cards with no income. I've been out of part time work for over two years. Is it legal to make me pay, and take money out of cash assistance?

A: David's Answer: It would be "legal" to do so in this instance, if it's reduced to a court order. The support can then be executed against any form of income. You should therefore keep a job search diary detailing a minimum of 20-30 efforts to find full-time work commensurate with your work history & education. For a full assessment, schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support lawyer.-- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment