Saturday, January 24, 2015

If I have sole legal custody does my ex have any say in changing my daughters therapist?

Q:  My ex doesnt agree that my 10 yr old daughter isn't ready to meet his girlfriend/fiance (one year after he walked out on us). She has been going to a therapist, she agrees as well. My ex is insisting she is and wants to change the therapist, basically to get his way and force the introduction. Can he do this?

A:  David's Answer:  If you have sole custody, and the only reason he's requesting a change of therapist's is because she doesn't recommend her meeting his girlfriend, then you're well within your rights to refuse to do so. Indeed, changing therapist's is quite a serious decision as it may disrupt the flow of therapy & should be done hastily. You're well-advised to simply capture in an e-mail the father's reason for the requested change and policy decline the invitation. Schedule a consult with a NYC Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment