Saturday, July 19, 2014

What's the best way to give the non-custodial parent the least amount of visitation rights? Brooklyn, NY

Q:  The non-custodial parent doesn't have a relationship with the child. The child is scared of the father. The father has 3 temp. order of protections from the mother and two 5 yr. order of protections for physically hitting/chocking the mother. The father has been in and out of rehab since 2011 and still has an alcohol issue. The last time he got arrested, the police found coke cocaine in his possession.

A:  David's Answer:  Ask for his visitation to be supervised. Obtain copies of the criminal complaints and any certificates of disposition from criminal court. Subpoena records from any alcohol treatment program he's been in. Ask that he be alcohol & drug-tested. Ask that he be required to complete anger management as a component of any visitation order. Schedule a consult with a NYC Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment.   -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment