Saturday, January 11, 2014

As an american citizen living abroad, what steps do I need to take to petition for sole custody of my child/children?

Q:  I am a an american citizen who lived on and off (never married) with a Dominican resident alien in the U.S. since 1994. In 2002, because of legal issues he was involved in, he decided to move to Dominican Republic. In order to keep the family together, shortly after I decided to follow him along with our 6 year old. I gave birth to our 2nd child in 2004 (birth abroad). Time after, in 2011, I decided to permanently end the relationship. The children live with the father. I will going back to the states in Feb. 2014. My children (both american citizens) are now 17 and 10.

A:  David's Answer:  If the father is not consenting for you to bring the children with you, then you will need to file for custody in D.R. As such, I'd advise to schedule a consultation with a D.R. Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment. -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment