Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I would like information on child custody rights in NY state as myself and boyfriend were living together but now splitting up.

Q:  our child is 8 months old and i am the sole income provider. would shared custody be an option for him or how can i get sole custody? what happens if i want to relocate to a different country with the child (due to family reasons)? do i need consent or full custody first? we were not married but lived together for 4 years. i have always been sole income provider during the last two years.

A:  David's Answer:  "Shared Custody" technically means the child lives exactly 50% of the time with each of you. The question becomes: after you split up, would such an arrangement be feasible? If you wish to relocate to a foreign country, you would need his express consent - and then have that consent incorporated into a court order OR you would need to have a custody/relocation trial in Family Court. Schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment