Saturday, January 18, 2014

How do I go about changing my 10mth old sons last name to mine? Based on my story below, what would the process be like for me?

Q:  Sorry, personal but i need help. After 1st baby I started working at a bar, his dad & I broke up & went our seperate ways no contact at all. I met a guy I had a one night stand with & got pregnant, never seen or heard of him again, dont even remember his name. When I was 3 months preg. my 1st sons father and I decided to work things out even though i was preg. by someone else. After giving birth I gave my baby his last name but when the baby was 2 months, he said he couldnt deal with taking care someone else baby & dissapeared. Til this day i havent heard from him I take care of my kids on my own & I dont want to change his sons last name but I would like to change my youngest sons last name to mine, thats not his father & his name or info isnt on the birth certificate. How to go about it?

A:  David's Answer:  this would not be a chid custody matter, but instead a "change of name" proceeding.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment