Saturday, January 11, 2014

My child's mother lives in NC, and I'm a resident of NY. Will the NC courts grant me visitation rights across state lines?

Q:  We became teen-aged parents; we're both now 25 yrs old; we were never married; our son is 8 yrs old; I pay child support through NC Child Support Enforcement; I realize we need to be amicable for our son's sake; she's insistent on not getting along unless it's something that she wants; she will only allow me to see our son in her presence; she will not allow him to visit me in NY without her; I love my son dearly! What's the proper course of action?

A:  David's Answer:  If there are no prior orders of custody or visitation which were issued in NY, then you'd need to file your visitation application in the state of NC. As such, you should re-post your question using the geographical area in NC where the mother resides. -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment