Thursday, September 18, 2014

Can a parent who has signed over parental rights have visitation rights ?

Q: The father of my child wants visitation rights after singing over his parental rights over to me 8 yrs ago and does not pay any child support can he get visitation rights ?

A: David's Answer: Did he "sign over his rights" by doing a "surrender" in the context of a step-parent adoption proceeding? If yes, then he'd be extremely unlikely to be able to legally impose visitation rights. If not, however, then merely because he executed a document between the two of you doesn't mean that document is legally-enforceable. - David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment