Sunday, September 21, 2014

How do I obtain an attorney for custody? I can't afford one.

Q: I was served a summons on the 16, I'm scheduled to appear to BKLYN NY on the 23 of September for my first appearance. I reside in the Bx NY.

A: David's Answer: Preliminarily, you should be aware that this was insufficient notice, as you're entitled to 8 days advance notice of a court appearance (unless it was served via an order to show cause). That said, if you're looking for court-assigned counsel, you can ask the Judge at the appearance date. Be prepared to document your income & execute a financial disclosure affidavit listing your expenses & assets. - David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment