You cannot generally change the child's last name without consent of the father. Your other adoption is to move to terminate his parental rights within the context of a step-parent adoption proceeding. If you wish to explore this route, then call a Bronx Child Custody lawyer to schedule a consult.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (