Monday, March 30, 2015

My ex wife wants to relocate with son to Texas to help with the care of her sick parents. Legitimate reason or no?

Q: I am VERY involved father also the non custodial parent. I see my son daily with the only exception of the weekends that he is with his mother. She has other siblings, family, etc that are already taking care of both her parents while she is here.

David's Answer: This doesn't seem to me to be a legitimate reason, since the focus on any custody relocation case is whether the move is in the best interests of the child, not whether it's primarily to suit a need of the mother. She'd need to demonstrate how the proposed move would substantially benefit the child, which would then need to off-set the reduced time seeing you. -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (www.blivenlaw.net

No comments:

Post a Comment