Saturday, December 13, 2014

There are so many divorce lawyers in NYC. How to choose?When I made a few calls, some declined to take my case just after

Q:  hearing that I am a house wife. (stay at home mom for 2 small kids) saying that I would not be able to afford her. She said I need at least XXXX amount of money,, which I have. But that is close to my entire saving,, In a case like this, is it stupid of me to go for a divorce, using all my money, not knowing the outcome? although I'm confident I'd get kids, which is the most important for me,, ( but if it was a bad idea to use all my money, then do I have no way of getting a divorce? or should I go for a lawyer who charges less?) Is it a myth that we can only win a divorce w the highest charged lawyers in NYC? 
(I believe my husband has no money to hire any lawyer, and would have to represent himself like he did for his first divorce,, but it was much simpler case w/o kids.
Additional information
I meant I called one so far to talk in details @ my case,, and she declined due to my "stay at home mom" status.. The others, I only called and didn't get to speak much yet at all.


A:  David's Answer:  I have written several Legal Guides on the subject, which I'll link you to: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/does-it-ma... and 
http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/factors-in.... It is indeed a myth that the higher-priced lawyer always wins - though a lawyer who charges more is generally more experienced, and experience does matter. That said, some lawyers charge a sliding scale, so I encourage you to shop around. You can use the "Find-a-Lawyer" tab on this site - with the proviso that many lawyers having offices in the outer boroughs often do cases in Manhattan as well.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment