Wednesday, December 24, 2014


Question: Do I need write approval from father to leave the state? He has never asked for rights or visitation nor has he signed the birth certificate. . DNA has proven him to be the father and he does have a court order for child support.

David's Answer: It is extremely bad advice that you may leave simply because there is not custody order in place. While that may be the law in some states (such as MA), it's not the law here in NY. Even if the father is relatively uninvolved, you nevertheless need his written, notarized permission or court permission. Indeed, you're best advised to get a custody order which makes it clear you're permitted to relocate.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment