Wednesday, February 4, 2015

What Does "Final Decision Making Authority" in a co-parenting stipulation allow?

Q:  I was given "Final Decision Making Authority" in the agreement signed off by my husband, though the passports are to be held by the court for three years, and are put in his care at the end of that term. 
Since I have "Final Decision Making Authority" does that allow me to travel with the children wherever and whenever I decide to? 
The Only travel mentioned in the agreement is his travel to Canada with the children to see their grandparents. 

This case is still in front f New York County Supreme Civil court. The Custody visitation was settled with this agreement, but financial is not yet resolved.

A:  David's Answer:  Usually with joint custody, you're required to fully discuss such issues with the non-custodial parent. If you propose to travel abroad and he unjustifiably withholds his consent, then you'll need to present the issue to either a mediator or Judge. Schedule a consult with a NYC Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment