Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My god son mother would like to give me custody of him. How do we go start the process?

Q: At the moment She is financially and mentally unfit to care for her special needs child.

A: David's Answer:  File a petition with the Family Court in your county. By going to the Petition window in the courthouse, a clerk will be assigned who will assist you in filing out the application and explain the procedures for serving her. Then on the court date (usually about 4-6 weeks later) the Judge can generally give you a custody order if the mother is consenting.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment