Saturday, August 10, 2013

Can I get full legal custody of my child when the father hasn't had contact for 3 years and owes over $25,000 in child support?

Q:  My child is 5 years old, the father has not seen **** in three years with hardly any contact during this time. There is no current visitation order or custody agreement. It has also been a year since he last paid any child support. My child has always lived with me and I am the sole decision maker, caretaker and provider. I am not exactly sure of the fathers whereabouts although I do have a phone number and email for him and believe he may be in California. I have been living in New York with my child for the last three years. There is currently no visitation or custody order.

A:  David's Answer:  It appears you have a very strong case for sole custody. I'd advise to file a support violation petition along with your custody petition. You should also schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment.  --  David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment