Thursday, February 6, 2014

Can my son father give up his rights to his mom

Q:  My son father is going to jail for a while and his mother wants visitation with my son , so she told me that my son father told her when he goes to jail he is going to sigh over his rights to her so she can have visitations. Is that even possible if I disagree with it. Can he give up his rights/sign them over to his mother.he has been in jail all my son life can out a year ago on parole and got caught with credit card fraud AGAIN now he is on trail.

A:  David's Answer:  He cannot "sign over his rights" to her, but that said, all she needs to do is petition the court for an order of grandparent visitation. If she has been relatively involved with the child the court will consider giving her 1 visit every month or two. Schedule a consult with a NYC Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment