Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Do I need a family court lawyer

Q:  I have 2 kids ages 9 and 5. Neither the father or myself have legal custody of our children
Their father and I came to an agreement that kids would stay with him for a year so that I can get on my feet and work night shift at a new job since I have no other family that can help care for mi children and recently moved in a new neighborhood where I don't know anyone I can trust my kids with. I see my kids on every other wknd and provide the smaller necessities since my salary is very minimal I also help with picking up kids from school during the weak without hesitating. The father wants to demand I pay child support if not he will fight custody. I have offered to bring groceries to help with food supply and he rejects it because evidently he la interested on the $$$ ...
What should I do.

A:  David's Answer:  Unfortunately, so many people work out these "informal arrangements" without consulting an attorney first. The problem you may face is that the courts do not generally recognize such "informal arrangements" & many times the fathers then deny there was any such arrangement in the first place. It then becomes very difficult for the mother to win back custody. And yes, while the children are in his custody, he is entitled to 25% of your adjusted gross income - or roughly 40-45% of your net. I'd advise you to consult a Bronx Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment.   -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment