Thursday, October 9, 2014

Sole custody

Q: If my ex has sole custody can I get to claim my daughter on taxes alternate year or should we have joint legal custody for that to happen?

A: David's Answer: Neither would help you. IRS regulations provide that whoever is the primary residential parent gets to claim the deduction for the child. If you want to claim any aspect of the deduction, you'd need to bring this up in the child support end of the case. - David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment