Wednesday, May 22, 2013

How can I make my dad legally give custodial rights on my behalf to my oldest sister?

Q: I don't like my living environment and have wished to move since I was 14. I am now 16. I am living with my dad and we face many altercations/differences. He will NOT let me move out even though i feel itll benefit. I am miserable in my home (Not being neglected or abused but I can give you further details on it) Ive begged, pleaded, broke down and cried and my father says "Youre my responsibility, you can leave when your 18." Although I am a minor, HOW IS THIS FAIR? I feel my older sister is a better candidate to be my guardian, my father is too care less and Im more comfortable with my sister. She has made it clear to me and my dad that she would take me in within a heart but he still refuses. Im MISERABLE here, and am willingly to do whatever it takes legally to get her custodial rights

A: David's Answer: Assuming your mother is not in the picture for some (unstated) reason, your (presumably adult) sister would need to petition for custody. However, if you are not being abused or neglected, and if your father objects to the change in custody, her case would be a difficult one to win. -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody lawyer (

No comments:

Post a Comment