Wednesday, May 22, 2013

If the custodial parent never register their 9 year old to report to school. What measures can be taken to correct this?

Q: Without having the parent penalized to the point of incarceration, what is the best approach to correcting a situation where the parent has kept their 9 year old from attending school?
Is there an agency to help get this corrected where the child parent is notified to have the child in school? What are the procedures and law on this issue in the city of New York?

A: David's Answer: If the child is not attending school (& assuming the situation has persisted for more than about 2 weeks), then you should contact ACS as well as file an immediate petition in Family Court to this effect. Refusing to send a child to school is a form of child neglect - and to the degree you're aware of the situation & do not take immediate measures to protect the child, you could be guilty of child neglect as well. -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment