Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Can I move to Florida from NY with my 6 yr old?

Q:  I'm looking for a job before I leave so I can be established. Her dad pays child support, we were never married. The child lives with me and sees her dad occasionally. What steps need to be taken for me to leave without him taking her from me?

A:  David's Answer:  First, if the father objects (or at least isn't willing to sign a written consent) to the move, you must file a petition in Family Court for a court order allowing the relocation. Document the days & times the father sees the child. Make offers that the father be more involved in terms of attending doctor's appointments, extracurricular activities, school events, etc. If the father doesn't take the bait, then that's yet another factor the court can consider in favor of the move. Schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment. -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment