Saturday, November 2, 2013

I fear for my daughter's well-being! I'm going to court soon! As the father, what steps do I need to take for full custody?

Q:  In July 2013, the my daughter's grandma took the initiative to get a DNA paternity test done. Ever since I've been making an effort to be in her life, sometimes taking her for the weekend or even a week at a time. The mother was not present. Last time I had my daughter, it was for a week before I started school. I also mentioned this to the grandma who was delegating our situation. In October, I discovered that the baby's mother has moved my daughter from a perfectly stable home to a homeless shelter. She refuses to let me see her and when I saw her yesterday, the baby looked distraught and traumatized. The mother is a drug/alcohol abuser, she came to my sister's home causing a scene under the influence. She had her 3-month boyfriend making threats and signing her birth certificate. Help!

A:  David's Answer:  You should certainly bring all your concerns to the Judge's attention. You should also ensure you're paying voluntary child support. You should also begin keeping a paper-trail with the mother, confirming things like access time. More definitive advice will come with a full assessment of your particular situation. I thus advise you to call a NYC Child Custody lawyer to schedule a consultation.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment