Saturday, November 2, 2013

What are the requirements for translated documents in family court in NY state?

Q:  I am filing a guardianship petition. The parents are willing to sign the consent forms but do not speak english, I would like to translate the documents to spanish, so the court knows they understand what they are signing and have them sign the english and spanish version. What are the requiremnts for translation? Do they need to say something or be done by a certain person?

A:  David's Answer:  The translator must sign a certification stating s/he is fluent in both languages and translated the documents word-for-word to the person. They should ideally also go to court so the consent can be put on the record. For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody lawyer.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment