Saturday, November 2, 2013

I sent my 8 year old son to see his mother who lives out of state and she won't return him. What should I do?

Q:  I have a joint custody agreement with my sons mother. We were never married. She moved out of state and left my son with me. It's been two years and recently I moved out of state myself. This year she wanted to see him for his birthday and bought a plane ticket for him. He was supposed to return Sunday to continue school but now she isn't returning any calls and won't let me know what's going on. Is this kiddnapping? Should I call the police?

A:  David's Answer:  Before advising what you should do, I'd need more facts. Was the prior agreement reduced to a court order? What state issued the order? How long have you been living in NY? Was the order (assuming there was one) registered in NY? Did the prior agreement give you primary custody? The best thing you can do is schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment.   -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment