Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I currently have court-ordered supervised visitation with my son, age 8. My wife has physical custody, pending the outcome of

Q:  our divorce proceedings. My wife told the judge that I'm a threat to the public, and that I might harm our son. I told the judge that there's no basis for these allegations. I am upset about the way the divorce proceedings are going along, and have sought psychiatric help. My psychiatrist, after having seen me for a year, issued a letter stating that I am not harmful to anyone. I showed it to the judge in order to obtain non-supervised visitation. The judge wouldn't accept this, and wants me to go for a forensic psychiatric evaluation, in order to obtain this. Isn't this used for people with a criminal history, and/or have a propensity for violence? I have neither. It is also prohibitively expensive. What, if anything, can I do? Thank you.

A:  David's Answer:  No, forensic psychological evaluations are a relatively routine part of child custody cases and are ordered in the vast majority of such cases. As for the cost, you may seek to either have the pro rata shares adjusted, or if you qualify for it to have the County pay.   -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody lawyer (

No comments:

Post a Comment